Due to the global COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, the EMMI Workshop and Max Born Symposium - Aspects of Criticality has been rescheduled for 2021. Participants will be notified of further details as they are determined.
The Meeting is organized by the ExtreMe Matter Institute EMMI of the GSI Helmholtz Centre for Heavy Ion Research, by the DFG Collaborative Research Center “Strong-Interaction Matter under Extreme Conditions”, by the Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Wrocław, and by the Polish Academy of Sciences, Wroclaw Branch.
The past decades have greatly increased our understanding of how many identical constituents through simple local interactions can produce striking global behavior. The research began in statistical physics, where the study of critical behavior opened seminal new perspectives. Since then, similar problems have come up in many fields, from quark matter to bird swarms. In this workshop, we want to consider several different aspects of such phenomena and discuss possible relations and overlaps.
- Hadronization: how do global changes lead to the confinement transition from quarks to hadrons as basic constituents? What is the nature of the resulting critical behavior? How can the transition be observed experimentally?
- Percolation and Self-organized Criticality: how does a random assembly of individual components become a connected entity and how it is linked to criticality? How can many-body systems dynamically produce criticality, without any tuning of parameters?
Preliminary List of Invited Speakers:
- Anton Andronic (Münster U.),
- Peter Braun-Munzinger (EMMI, Darmstadt),
- Hugues Chaté* (CEA Saclay),
- Jean Cleymans (Cape Town U.),
- Tetyana Galatyuk* (Darmstadt T. U.),
- Rajiv Gavai (Bielefeld U./IISER Bhopal),
- Olaf Kaczmarek (Bielefeld U.),
- Larry McLerran (INT, Washington U., Seattle)
- Stefania Melillo (Institute for Complex Systems, CNR, Sapienza, Rome),
- Swagato Mukherjee (BNL),
- Miguel Muñoz (Granada U.),
- Marlene Nahrgang (SUBATECH, Nantes),
- Gunnar Pruessner (Imperial College, London),
- Jan Rafelski (Arizona U., Tucson),
- Chihiro Sasaki (Wrocław U.),
- Didier Sornette (ETH Zürich),
- Mikhail Stephanov (Illinois U., Chicago),
- Raju Venugopalan (BNL),
- Aleksi Vuorinen (Helsinki U.),
- Nu Xu (LBNL),
- Yi Yin (MIT).
*To be confirmed
All talks will be given in plenary sessions.
International Advisory Committee:
- Philippe Blanchard (Bielefeld)
- Maria-Paola Lombardo (Firenze)
- Larry McLerran (INT Seattle)
- Johanna Stachel (Heidelberg)
- Frithjof Karsch (Bielefeld)
- Krzysztof Redlich (Wrocław)
- Ludwik Turko (Wrocław)
- Helmut Satz (Bielefeld; chairperson)